OK, well, I did it. My new iMac arrived this weekend, and once we got everything hooked up and I stopped ooohing and aaaahing over just how big the screen is and just how bright and sharp everything looks on it, I created an avatar and wandered around Second Life.
My avatar? Maia Sucettes. I'm the one in the middle wearing jeans and a sweater.
So far, I've managed to drop a beach ball onto a table, bump my head a lot, whoosh/teleport to Podcast Island, fly around a bit, and generally be rather confused. I met the Island Manager, who was incredibly helpful and drove me in his car to go skydiving. Kinda fun! I didn't quite have the coordinates to visit Lee Hopkins' space, so I just wandered around and tried not to hit my head.
My preliminary comments:
- Creating the avatar is fun. If you've played before, you probably know this. I haven't, so I didn't.
- Moving around, flying, picking up objects and keeping an inventory were pretty easy and intuitive.
- Finding one's way around the map is nearly impossible. I just chose random locations and teleported there until I found something interesting.
- There is a surprising lack of cellulite on avatars.
- My avatar is wearing more clothing than anyone else I've met!
- While I enjoyed wandering, a pre-arranged meetup would probably be much more productive.
- Flying is very handy, and I want it in real life.